Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Who Is The NRA?

Instapundit points out that the stereotypes of NRA members that the media believe are not particularly accurate:
READER GAIL RAMPKE EMAILS: “The problem with attacks on the NRA is that leftist politicians either don’t know (or pretend not to know) what the NRA actually *is*. This NRA member is a 60 year old female chemist."
I get some very odd reactions from reporters when I explain that I am adjunct faculty at a community college, and the average NRA member I know is usually addressed as "Professor" not "Bubba."

3 comments:

  1. My father was an MD; graduated at the top of his class at University of Utah. He wasn't a hunter (except the occasional jackrabbit or whistle-pig hunt with his kids), but he loved guns and cherished freedom.

    He was a member of the AMA (American Medical Association) and the NRA. When the AMA started composing anti-gun overtures, he dropped his AMA membership and upgraded his NRA membership to life... and bought memberships for his sons. I've since upgraded to Life Member. Demonizing the NRA is as silly as demonizing that inanimate steel object.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was at the 2004 NRA convention, a fella in line with me to hear Dick Cheney speak looked around and asked, "I wonder how many enteprenuers are here?" His point was exactly as yours: NRA members run the gamut, and "Bubbas" aren't the majority, by far.

    I'd bet that the NRA conventions are among the very largest such gatherings where the attendees are paying their own way. As opposed to their organization or employer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess us Life NRA members aren't all uneducated, illiterate, and racist (white) guys...

    ReplyDelete