Monday, October 17, 2011

Deep In The Basement of the Ivory Tower

A friend sent this book to me a few days ago, and when I don't find myself crying along with the author, I find myself laughing so hard it hurts.  Professor X has some very witty writing:
Her paper set this year's benchmark for confused student prose.  A hallucinogenic lit-crit puree of Finnegans Wake and Bridezillas, for long stretches it was undecipherable....

I tried to imagine the circumstances that would result in her submitting an assignment of such desperately poor quality.  The thing read like the free association of a disordered mind.  I pictured her writing it in a bar, or while driving to class or skydiving.  Maybe she composed it as one long text message to herself.  By any rational standards, this was failing work.

2 comments:

  1. As someone who has started skydiving, I think I'm qualified to say that anything written while skydiving would be far more interesting. And by interesting I mean horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would not discount the hallucinogenic part.

    I am sure she snacked well while typing.

    ReplyDelete