Saturday, March 30, 2024

Moving Day

Two Men and a Truck are busily packing our house.  I have already moved the three smallest scopes and mounts to the new house.

The big scopes will require a bit more work.  

The 17.5" reflector is a Dobsonian Serrurier Truss design so I can remove the upper cage from the truss tubes, then move the lower cage assembly with the mirror as a separate, not very heavy or large assembly.  The equatorial platform and the caster assembly are each light and small.  I can probably do this by myself, but my wife is going to help. 

The 8" f/7 reflector is a bit more work.  Removing the OTA from the mount will take some help.  (Old age is bad.). Disassembling the mount is easy and I can move every component.

I expect to be done moving in time for my grandson's birthday dinner tonight afterwards.  We moved our clothes and medicines separately so that we can find what we need for church tomorrow.  He is risen! And unpacked.

2 comments:

  1. This might be too late but for the stuff the movers are not handling:

    I suspect your area is served by a volunteer fire department. You might call them and see if they have some young strong lads who like to make a few bucks on the side. At least one of them will have a pick up, or you could rent a UHaul. The advantage to you (aside from strength) is as firefighters they likely have had background checks. It won’t be bonded/insured moving professionals, but definitely several cuts above going to the local Home Depot parking lot and hiring “labor.” Pay them generously and you will have a future source of strong help as well.

    I was a vollie FF as well, and altho too old and creaky to do that, I still call on theyounger ones from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The guns all fit into the Jaguar back seat and trunk. No, that does not mean that I do not have enough guns! Seeing my various awards on the wall demonstrated my RKBA credentials. Movers were appreciative.

      Delete