Friday, January 19, 2018

Clear Night

So I try to roll the big reflector out, and it is pouring up a fight.   Why?  I bring out my big flashlight and see that the steel plate on which the reflector and equatorial plate are mounted is bending at the edges where the caster's are located.  This, of course, l impairs the geometry,  making the caster's reluctant to roll on what is already only a so-so smooth surface.   These were never a problem before the platform,  and it had not added enough weight to cause this.   The way the polka attorney is mounted to the plate,  however, concentrates the weight closer to the center,  increasing deflection load at the edges.   Solution: buy a much stiffer steel plate, remove and replace,  this should,be a far less stressful experience than getting the platform on the plate the first time.  I have all the dimensions,  for one thing.  I shudder to think what a 1/4" thick 30" x 30" steel plate will cost.  Perhaps try Pacific Steel for a big piece of scrap?   How thick are trench plates?

My wife, who is very mechanically, gifted, suggested putting a 1/2" piece,of plywood under it.   I have a piece that is just slightly larger than the steel plate.   Weight testing with 130 pounds on it shows no flees at all.   I can remove the existing casters from the steel plate, drill corresponding holes in the plywoof, and reinstall the caster' through both sheets.

5 comments:

  1. Too bad, because it is a stunning clear night tonight. After I got off the treadmill and walked outside to cool off, I was marveling (as I always do) at the redness of Betelgeuse and Aldebaran, the cool blue of Rigel, and flashing Sirius which goes through every color in the spectrum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I glory in your obtuse references!
    "big reflector "
    "pouring up a fight"
    " .... impairs the geometry ... "
    "equatorial plate"
    "... trench plates"

    I'm probably "The Only One" who does not "GROK" your vocabulary, but I continue to read your comments for the shear wonder of your terminology.

    Someday, I may actually understand what you are saying. But I do not expect that day to occur in the near future.


    ,Friday, January 19, 2018
    Clear Night
    So I try to roll the big reflector out, and it is pouring up a fight. Why? I bring out my big flashlight and see that the steel plate on which the reflector and equatorial plate are mounted is bending at the edges where the caster's are located. This, of course, l impairs the geometry, making the caster's reluctant to roll on what is already only a so-so smooth surface. These were never a problem before the platform, and it had not added enough weight to cause this. The way the polka attorney is mounted to the plate, however, concentrates the weight closer to the center, increasing deflection load at the edges. Solution: buy a much stiffer steel plate, remove and replace, this should,be a far less stressful experience than getting the platform on the plate the first time. I have all the dimensions, for one thing. I shudder to think what a 1/4" thick 30" x 30" steel plate will cost. Perhaps try Pacific Steel for a big piece of scrap? How thick are trench plates?
    ,


    ReplyDelete
  3. Why not add reinforcement to the existing plate? A full dimension plate will be heavy, and expensive after getting it cut to size. Perhaps adding some strap steel from wheel to wheel, or angle iron around the edges for wheel clearance?

    Scrap aluminum would be easier to work with, and lighter. Go thicker with alum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, unless all you want is more weight. if you want to stiffen the plate, weld some perpendicular straps to it, or bolt on some angle iron.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jerry the Geek. You missed, "Polka Attorney."

    Like Scotty said to the Manchester United fan in "Eurotrip", "Your cursing is at an astronomically higher plane than mine.

    ReplyDelete