Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Snow is Evil

Fallimg so fast that the tracks I made going down the driveway at 10:00 were filled in by 11:00.  My wife's TrailBlazer is now off the driveway a couple feet, and our very helpful neighbor only has a 4WD truck (someone with chains might be able to do it); not enough traction to pull us back.  If we can get back on the pavement we can inch up the driveway with one person on the driveway edge; attach the snow plow blade and clear a path.

The neighbor with tractor is coming over.  To prevent this in future we will put the road edge markers in place.  This is the first winter we haven't stuck these into the edge of the road.  Won't make that mistake next year.

He pulled back onto road and plowed the driveway clear so we got stuck higher up.  See you in the spring, I fear.  This is an unimaginably bad set of conditions.  How can anyone live in the Dakotas or Michigan?

Why are there snowbirds who tavel to Florida every winter?  I think I know.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, don't know if I could handle that cold! Brrrrrr!

    I've been thinking a lot about moving out of San Diego, but then a cold night here is like 50 degrees. I like the snow when I'm watching it on TV, but don't particularly want to have it all around, all the time!

    Maybe you ought to trade the Jaguar in for a dogsled? (Just kidding! But dogs are warm to snuggle with, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you considered installing a winch at the top of your driveway? That would give you a backup method of getting your vehicles up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Consider using a small tractor for this sort of problem. My father had a couple little tractors that were used for snowplowing, gravel spreading, and moving vehicles around his property. The most often used one was actually a riding mower, with a hitch ball mounted at both ends. That thing would easily push or pull a 30ft motorhome in the dirt/mud/gravel/seashells around his place. Pickups were no trouble. Gearing was the key. About 10-12hp. Clutches and 3spd. I think the larger one had a compound trans setup, but I'm not sure after 12 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I know too, but I don't think I could relax there, wondering if my pipes had frozen and burst, or ice had done some damage, and it would sit there unaddressed until spring. They say unlived-in structures deteriorate much faster than empty ones, which seems counter-intuitive at first but I think I get it.

    ReplyDelete