Wednesday, September 14, 2016

LED Replacements

I just replaced the 60W incandescent bulbs in the light fixtures in my hall with 14W LEd bulbs that purport to be 100W equivalents. Lighting went from 65 lux to 216 lux at the light switch and a much whiter, more Sun-like light at that.  Should reduce A/C costs a bit in summer as well.  Saving 184 watts.

Also impressive is that all seven bulbs I have replaced today were the cheap, unfrosted no name I'ver heard of incandescent bulbs the builder put in in 2005.

UPDATE: This was a mistake.  My wife returned home, furious that I had replaced the dim yellow bulbs with these bright white LED bulbs.

2 comments:

  1. Were they on some sort of electronic switch that would provide a "soft start"? That was a great longevity booster for incandescent lamps. Another big lifespan booster was choosing 130V lamps in a house or facilty that did not have above-average voltage -- but at the cost of less lumens/watt and a much "warmer" light output.

    I only ask because I've had to replace a lot of dimming and electronic switches in order to get safe and reliable operation of new LED lamps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm no tree hugger, but I'm cheap. I found high CRI (Color Rendering Index) LED bulbs (90 and above CRI is good) for cheap at Costco. Did the math on the three bulbs in my kitchen that are on 16 hours per day, and figured they'd pay for themselves over the incandescent bulbs they replaced in a little over two months. After that, all gravy. And good God, do those bulbs last!

    I've since replaced the three incandescents in my home office with the same LED lights. The rest of the bulbs in the house don't get nearly the usage, so I'll replace them as they burn out.

    ReplyDelete