Friday, October 10, 2014

Depression

I went to see my family physician Tuesday.  He started me on 20 mg Prozac.  The biggest concern with SSRI anti-depressants is that they can provoke mania in bipolars.  At thjis point a liitle mania (my normal state) would be an advantage. I don't ever recall being this depressed.  It is like trying to drive a car whose engine won't get off idle.  It typically takes about 7-10 days for Prozac to raise one's mood level.  I am hoping that it will also alleviate the late night panic atttacks as well.  These are very rough.

The first two outpatient physical therapy sessions went very well.  The therapist indicated that I had far more right arm muscle use than most stroke patients he sees, and has confidence about my recovery prospects.

7 comments:

  1. Realizing the trauma you've endured and the after affects that you are still wrestling with, it sounds like you are still making good progress. I'm praying that your recovery will continue to accelerate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10 days is pretty fast. You'll see more benefit in 3-4 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you know, its important to combat the negative thoughts that depression naturally causes or exacerbates. You will get better, whether your depressed self believes it or not. Been there many times.

    I hope your depressive pain eases soon and you can get back to your always impressive activities. My best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Years before this study came out I noticed with my experience antidepressants started working immediately. My doctor wrote that off as placebo. But I didn't think it was.

    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/282784.php

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not really related to this specific post, but here is some good news about stroke, the brain actually produces new neurons to replace those lost.
    http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-10-mechanism-brain.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear of the PT progress, Clayton.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been to a fair number of physical therapists over the years, mostly to rehab injuries or the results of stupidity.

    Given some of their reactions on 2nd visits it kind of seems that most people expect the therapist to "fix" them and don't really bother doing the work between sessions.

    As you're probably well aware, the therapist is the guide, the patient *has* to do the work.

    Keep working and you'll keep getting better.

    ReplyDelete