Friday, May 30, 2014

Alan Gura Is Now Blogging

Alan is the attorney who won D.C. v. Heller (2008) and McDonald v. Chicago (2010).  I have been privileged to work with Alan on these cases.  His blog Reality-Based Litigation is worth checking out, especially if you have a difficult, argumentative teenager:
If I had a dollar for every time I’d heard that someone’s offspring would make a great lawyer because “she drives me nuts with all her arguing, she just argues all the time,” I’d have a free latte just this week. I do like latte. But the “let’s send the obnoxious kid to law school” thing is grating.
I’m never sure how to respond. The exasperated parent is obviously looking for some encouragement, a silver lining in a clouded relationship. He wants validation, not, well… more arguing. And who am I to crush this parent’s dream? They’ll do what they want anyway. But the truth is, notwithstanding the adversarial nature of our legal system and the disputatious character of television lawyers, one cannot counsel Snowflake to pursue a legal career simply because she just slammed her bedroom door in dad’s face. It’s just not a useful data point.

No comments:

Post a Comment