Saturday, July 16, 2011

Opel GT

When I was young, I lusted after an Opel GT (GM Germany's little 5/8 scale model Corvette) because I knew that I would never be able to afford a real Corvette.  (How the world changes!)  I confess: I still think that this was a brilliant design for a car.  If I were fabulously rich, I would be tempted to start a company that would build something just like the Opel GT, but with modern technology.  I think the 2.8 liter or 3.1 liter GM V6 would fit in place of the 1.9 liter four cylinder that came in them--and you would have a car that both extremely fast and with very good gas mileage.  But alas, I am not that rich, and besides, who would want a fast, stylish, high gas mileage sports car?  No one, except me and a couple of other kooks.

Anyway, I saw this 1972 Opel GT being offered for sale on eBay, and all I could think was, wow!  What great shape this is in!

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of our assistant manager at a burger place where I slung hash in 1969. He subscribed to 5 car magazines and was quite the car nut.

    So he just had to have one and the dealers all had 3 month waiting lists, you had to put 50% down to get on the list and pay a hefty premium on top of the MSRP as well.

    [Car dealers were crooks then just as now... ;-]

    The Chevy dealer next door had a brand new Chevelle with the 396" rat motor, 375 bhp, 4 speed, Positraction, etc. Same price [$3700], GMAC financing at a very low interest rate, no waiting list and no dealer premium!

    You can guess which one he bought... ;-]

    ReplyDelete