Saturday, January 18, 2020

Finally Complete

As regular readers are doubtless aware, I rebuilt a 3" f/4.5 reflector that I made in the 1990s.  This was to some extent a test of my machining skills.  Of course, I considered machining an equatorial mount but the work was a bit intimidating, so I bought a Orion EQ1 mount.  I found one new in box (amazingly) at Telescope Warehouse very reasonably priced.  I had some rings for mounting Baby, but I needed an adapter to makt them to the mount,  so I carefully measured to what I had to attach it and started machining.  First a recess on both sides to fit into the available space, then counterbored 1/4" holes from the bottom to hold the rings.

Then two threaded 1/4"-20 holes for the bolts from the bottom to lock into.
I would not use acetal for any great weight, but this is very secure.

The rings are closer together than is esthetic pleasing.  I was too focused on the holes at the end.  I may redo this with wider ring spacing, now that I have all the code working.  The last operation I did manually (because of my recent laptop failure) enlarging the ring slot width about .02" to get the rings in without a fight.  I will say that running the mill manually is more pleasant than I expected.


No comments:

Post a Comment