Thursday, August 17, 2023

The How Low Can You Go Chair

My wife and I went to Home Depot.  After explaining our need, an employee steered us towards some 70% off 4x6 beams because they were ugly.  That was fine.  No one will ever see it 

We used some steel plates to take three 4x6x24 beams and make them a pretty rigid base, then Rhonda put her upholstery skills to work affixing a cushion to it, then we put two carry handles on it.  It is amazing how a couple handles can make a clumsily heavy object easy to move.

Upholstery means tacks or nails not screws. Tacks and nails are heresy in my belief system.  Machine screws, bolts, and threaded holes.  Fasteners that you can easily remove and reinstall as needed.  Wood screws are perilously close to heterodox thinking.

Because the beams are really only 3.5", I suspect that I am only going to get 4" of elevation above ground level.  If I have to stretch half an inch to look in the polar scope that should not be a problem.

2 comments:

  1. If you have to stretch, you will not be comfortable and therefore not as effective/attentive as possible.

    Easy fix: Add some cushioning. Build it up a bit.

    And that's why removable fasteners!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever you do, don't use staples for upholstery. I had an overstuffed chair and ottoman recovered about 16 years ago, and the upholsterer used staples in some places. I've had to redo those staples with tacks and stitchery to make it hold.

    ReplyDelete