Friday, November 18, 2022

Cross Slide Drill Press Vise

As I mentioned yesterday, I need a new cross slide drill press vise.  The U.S. made ones are $300+ for a 6" jaw opening.  The broken one was 4" and seldom was that insufficient.   The vises below $200 are largely CCP so no-go.  Even the maker of the 6" offers a 3" version made of course in CCP.  Reviews on Amazon reminded me of the longstanding criticism of Harbor Freight mills and lathes: they are a nice parts kit from which a useful machine tool can be created.

But I did find a Taiwanese cross slide vise 3 15/16" jaw opening for $143. I think I will buy that.  It is not quite twice as expensive as the CCP Harbor Freight cross slide vises.  I have only infrequent need for one of these.  Even the limited jaw opening may not be a big issue.  A machinist, even a rank amateur like myself, learns to make workpiece holding tools.  A 6" wide workpiece should be something for which I can make an adapter plate.  The adapter plate needs to be 1 1/2" high and 3 15/16" wide to which either screws through the part, or clamps to hold it in place should solve the problem.  

There is also a 6" opening version for $180.  Hmm.  Decisions, decisions.

I just ordered the 6" one.  Shipping was $41.  This is likely a heavy unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment