Thursday, July 13, 2017

Obstructive Sleep Apnea

I have had this problem for some time.  The BreatheRight strips help, but probably not enough.  The CPAP masks are about as comfortable as Darth Vader's mask, and I just can't sleep with them on.  Bu there is a new gadget: ProVent.  It goes on to your nostrils; valves allow incoming air, then shut to create the positive pressure that CPAP provides, probably forcing you to exhale through your mouth.  FDA approved; from what I can find, not quite as effective as CPAP, but much better than nothing.

6 comments:

  1. Have you tried any of the newer CPAPs? I have family that has used them and recent models seem to be vastly improved over older ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am assuming the setup used in the hospital in 2014 was new. So uncomfortable that I might have gotten one hour of sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It wasn't just over your nose? I got my CPAP from the website Iamsleep.com. It's made by Phillips and has a "mask" that only covers my nose. It has four point strap system to hold it on my head. I fall asleep with it pretty easily if I have my plastic anti-teeth-gritting guard in my mouth, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, maybe. How loud/quiet was it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quiet enough and over both nose and mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use a mask that goes over my mouth with a cushion under my nostrils through which the air flows. It is a lot better than a full face mask.

    It is an Amara View

    ReplyDelete