Monday, May 8, 2017

The Problem With Free Software is That it is Too Expensive to Use

I have used OpenOffice Draw to make simple drawings for years.  It has been consistent and fairly logical.  Now it has gone insane.  I drew a rectangle.  Then I drew a circle in the corner.  Now if I select that circle, it always selected the rectangle on which that circle is placed.  I sent the rectangle to the back and the behavior doesn't change.  All I want is a rectangle with several holes in it.

Nor can I move those circles.  It always drags the underlying (at the back) rectangle.

3 comments:

  1. Have you tried the "Ungroup" command? Or the "Group" command is turned on in 'Preferences'.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try LibreOffice. I think Open Office has been abandoned.

    That said, it isn't as good as commercial software. But I use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. some CAD programs require you to designate a location on the rectangle and then it automatically places your hole. Most common is when your placing a series of bolt or screw models on a flange in a uniform pattern.

    ReplyDelete