Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Sharp Tools Always a Good Idea

Every year or so, I find myself frustrated with crummy cuts, and every time I replace the blade on my chop saw, I find the problem goes away.  What a difference this makes!  It isn't just that the finish on the cuts on aluminum and acetal are so much more beautiful; it is that the blade goes into the material without causing the stock to bend or twist.

I finished an order for five sets of ScopeRollers for a telescope dealer in Orange County, California last night.  I figure, even with the dealer/quantity discount, I still cleared about $50 per hour for my work, so I guess that it was all worth it.  (All includes one minor cut on my hand where I had not sanded the aluminum tubing, and a bit of soreness in my arms and chest from the somewhat physical aspects of tapping holes.)

5 comments:

  1. Ever have one of those days where everything seems gray and dreary? Where no matter how hard you try, you just can't focus on anything you try to do, and life seems to be passing you by in a fog?

    ...

    And then you clean your glasses and everything is fine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had that experience with my Corvette. I found that my declining eyesight at night was simply failure to clean the hideaway headlamps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clayton, may I recommend these? They *are* expensive but stand head and shoulders above anything available at the home improvement stores. I have several different Forrest blades including their Dado King stack. What's more, for a very reasonable price they will replace carbide teeth, re-true the blade, and ship it back to you. And, I hope you are using the same blade for both Delrin and aluminum...

    www.forrestblades.com(slash)mitermaster.htm

    www.forrestblades.com(slash) nomelt.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gah... I meant to write "are NOT" using the same blade for both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharp tools are at least an order of magnitude less dangerous.

    ReplyDelete