Sunday, February 27, 2022

Odd Size

I need some steel angle 1" x 1/2".  This is an odd size.  Angle steel is almost always symmetrical on leg lengths.  Someone must make it for some application.

Steel angle with unequal leg lengths seem not to come with 1/2" legs.  I am fighting so hard to mill steel that I have decided to use 1/2" x 1" aluminum angle.  The material is so cheap that it is hard to justify the time and broken drive belts.  Aluminum should be stiff enough for these hold down clamps.  The time for delivery is okay; the power switch broke and I am waiting for a replacement switch.


6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. 1/8" thick is enough but upto 1/4" would be fine. I need two three inch pieces.

      Delete
    2. There seems to be nothing that odd size in steel so I ordered some aluminum angle that size. If I could cut steel with my mill, I would just do that instead, but it seems to be so slow as to be simpler and faster to use aluminum instead. I think it will be stiff enough for a holddown clamp. I have to wait for a new power switch for the mill anyway. I snapped off.

      Delete
  2. I bet that a local welding shop would be able to whip those together in about 15 minutes (including writing up the bill, finding the flat stock scraps, cutting them to size, doing the setup, welding the pieces together and letting it cool). OR...you could crack open the "I just bought a welder" door

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you should ask for is 1x1x1/8 ANGLES (hollow tubing is also made in this size). You should also be able to find 3/16" and 1/4" thick too. Your problem is that steel warehouses stock these angles in twenty FOOT lengths. Have you tries hardware stores?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Asymmetrical angle steel is not rare at all, but there are standard sizes. Since you only need a few inches, you can always get a 1x1 and rip one side to 1/2. It's no big deal to cut that much - you can even do it with a hacksaw.

    ReplyDelete