Monday, February 28, 2022

1960s Technology for What I Had Hoped Would Remain a 1960s Problem

 How will you know if Civil Defense has called all clear from fallout.  In 1960s America, you would turn on your transistor radio and tune to the Conelrad channel.  And what will do now?  Go on the web?  I do not own a single AM or FM radio.  I found this AM/FM/SW radio for $21.99, and it is pocket sized--useful if you are crouching in an improvised fallout shelter.

No, I am not interested in a ham rig.  One more item that I will never use except if all heck breaks loose.

Also, put inside a metal ammo can and wire the can to a pipe or other ground.  I doubt this radio is EMP-hardened.

Received next day.  It is a neat little radio, very compact.  Unfortunately, within ten minutes of use all buttons (including power, stopped working).  I also did not realize that short wave broadcasting has dropped almost to nil.  An ordinary, Sony AM/FM radio seems a better choice.

6 comments:

  1. EAS has replaced CD channel which means it's supposed to be broadcast on everything.

    If you are that worried or really believe you could survive it if the sh*t hits the fan get a vacuum tube based radio with a battery inverter setup. I have an old am/FM/sw tube radio. Need to find it and test. Been many years....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am well out of blast and primary radiation range of any targets.

      Delete
  2. I got this one for about $12 on sale in a local gun shop. I realized I needed a weather radio because Tornados are not as polite as Hurricanes and don't give enough early warning
    https://www.amazon.com/Midland-ER10VP-Emergency-Alert-Weather/dp/B08SYK7LJT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard an old microwave makes a good farady cage...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems plausible. I think it still needs grounding.

      Delete
  4. Good point. I have CB, GMRS, and Ham rigs, plue 2 handheld scanners. My intent is Ham, a scanner, and a power supply w/inverter in hard shell, but I'm not so sure it will make any difference in the end given all the other damage to occur in the electronics world.

    ReplyDelete