Thursday, September 17, 2015

Something I Learned From My Father

1. Always use the right tool for the job.

2.  If you don't have the right tool, enough ingenuity with the wrong tool may work.

I decided that the end mill solution for slicing the rings on a diameter would not work because there would be nothing holding the pieces in place when the last section was cut.  So I needed a way to holsd the ring while passing it through a bandsaw.  Always keep your fingers away from cutting tools.  (Why are bandsaws used by butchers?)  So I built something of wood to hold the ring in place.

Why such an odd shape?  No jigsaw, so I used the bandsaw to make two parallel cuts, then used a Forstner bit to make the cut across.

2 comments:

Sigivald said...

"No jigsaw, so I used the bandsaw to make two parallel cuts, then used a Forstner bit to make the cut across. "

Note that, as I learned in shop class, you can easily make curved cuts with a bandsaw - just not as sharp as with a jigsaw, and you want to make relief cuts first. Make a couple of those and you can - if the project needs it, as this does not, even end up with a square, flat back surface, if there's a little room to maneuver.

I mention this only because that seems much easier and faster than cutting across with the drill press and Forstner bits, so maybe you forgot?

Clayton Cramer said...

never learned that. thanks.