Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Gray Hair: The Enemy of Employment

I have always thought that there was something a bit vain about worrying about gray hair--but it is becoming increasingly apparent that being "old" (you know, more than 40) is a major problem for software engineers looking for a job.  For the next time that I start worrying about this, any suggestions on products that work well, especially on a beard?  I cannot imagine using such a product on a regular basis, but once through the interview process, I know that my performance is quite sufficient to overcome the prejudices against being ancient, and I can then go back to being myself.

I somewhat resent having to play games like this, but it could be worse, I suppose.  There was a time, only a few decades ago, when some Americans had to use skin lighteners for the same reason.

7 comments:

  1. Well, luckily for me I've got another year and a few months before I hit that magic 40, but I was laid off yesterday so the 'old programmer fart seeking employment' thing is relevant to me.

    Granted, I have all of 1 gray hair on my head and instead of white, I have red in my beard.

    Maybe they won't notice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try Just For Men.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think age prejudice is for quite the same reasons as racial prejudice 50 years ago... Some of it may be flat-out prejudice, but some of it may be the "he has so much experience, we'd have to pay him a salary we can't afford" type of discrimination. Which has been illegal since 1967, but proof is always the sticking point, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just for Men works. My wife, BTW, likes "Mr. Brown." ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clayton, my advice is that if you feel a need, do it.

    My advice however is to start doing it some weeks in advance so that you get used to applying it, and can get an application that looks natural practiced well before a critical interview.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pays to have no-line bifocals if bifocals are needed. It's a strategy not a cosmetic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mrs. TOTWTYTR is finding much the same thing. No, she doesn't have a beard, but she does have a resume which lists the year she graduated from college. Even school administrators can do the math and so she gets few replies to her letters of interest.

    It's not performance related, but cost related. If an administrator can hire a teacher with the same credentials (on paper) for less, that's what they'll do. Experience not only doesn't count, it's a negative.

    ReplyDelete