Monday, December 13, 2010

Jury Duty Tuesday

Like a lot of places now, you get notified that have been called for jury duty--but you call the night before, and find out if they need you. This is a giant improvement over the bad old days, when Los Angeles County had me go from Santa Monica to downtown for eleven days--and not only did I not get on a jury, I was only once subject tovoir dire (which is essentially the point where there is at least a small change of getting on a jury).

Anyway, they actually need me Tuesday in Idaho City.  I'm skeptical that I will get on a jury, but in spite of the absurd drive, I do not mind getting called.  We protect our freedoms with four boxes in the United States: soap; ballot; jury; and cartridge.  Each of these represents a great level of personal responsibility, effort, and risk (although serious risk only attaches if the first three boxes fail).

3 comments:

  1. "We protect our freedoms with four boxes in the United States: soap; ballot; jury; and cartridge."

    Is that being quoted, or your formulation?

    Pretty good, that. Might have to "borrow" it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...four boxes: soap; ballot; jury; and cartridge."

    I like that. I want to get it on a t-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Variants of it have been floating around the Internet for some years. I wish that I could take credit for it.

    ReplyDelete