Tuesday, November 16, 2010

High Deductible Health Plans

I'm looking at these again--there are days that I am not sure that I can justify the stress of my day job enough to keep doing it.  I much prefer teaching, but between preparing for classes and working full-time at a job that I hate (mostly because I hate JSPs so much), this is just too much.

If you can handle a $10,000 annual deductible, you can get coverage for a family for less than $500 a month.  A Health Savings Account provides a way to accumulate tax-free money to cover the deductible and copayments--and it carries over from year to year, so that if you have one really bad year where you actually hit the $10,000 deductible, it is only an "ouch" instead of a disaster.

I'm waiting for the 30 year Treasury bonds to get 8% yield.  Or maybe even 6%.  If I have to spend much more time trying to figure out these undocumented JSPs, maybe 5%.

3 comments:

  1. I have a $5,000 deductible plan that covers myself and my wife for about $90 per month (we're both about 30). It's not bad; the plan also gets us on a PPO that provides very good discounts, so you get a benefit even if you don't make the deductible.

    It's a shame that Obamacare will slowly do away with most of these plans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised Obamacare isn't going to outlaw these (high deductible plans (which I've used in times past between jobs) and HSAs).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've wondered how many corporations announced the changes to their health plans prior to the election, and how many votes were swayed by the news.

    ReplyDelete