Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Stuff Sitting in the Eyepiece Drawer

I have a 8 f/7 reflector that was an act of love by my father in the 1960s. It has a 1.25" University Optics focuser. It works so well that replacing the focuser and therefore the diagonal is not attractive. 

 A while back, I bought a 2" to 1.25" adapter. (This lets you put a 2" OD eyepiece into a 1.25" eyepiece focuser.)  I never used it. 

 This evening, while preparing to do some photography, I was attempting to align the 9x60 finderscope with the scope. The target mountain range is sufficiently regular that I needed a lower power eyepiece to get a chance at identifying a peak that was obvious in the finderscope.

So I pulled out the 50mm SuperPlossl and put it in the adapter. Not only did it reach focus, but the dark circle you usually see in reflectors in daylight with these low power eyepieces was not there. It was although not severe with the 85mm SuperPlossl. I now have perfectly useful 28x and 17x eyepieces.  Those should give me 1.78 degree and 2.9 degree fields of view (although likely with some vignetting of the field).

No comments:

Post a Comment