Friday, May 17, 2013

Roll Your Own (Rings, That Is)

The quick but inflexible solution for attaching a telescope to the dovetail plate is to drill holes in the tube and turn bolts through the tube into the threaded holes on the dovetail plate.  The more elegant solution (because it lets you rotate the tube into more useful viewing positions, with a little bit of effort) is to use rings like these.  I have bought Ken Dauzat's rings before for another telescope, and I was very pleased with them.  I have asked for a quote for the monster tube, and I am shuddering a little at the likely price.

But I saw this device for rolling your own rings from either tubing or flat.  It's $169, but that doesn't seem like  a particularly high price if it comes out the same price as buying one pair of rings.  Does anyone have experience using such a tool?

No comments:

Post a Comment